Inspiring book, get Smart Metrics also and then you are ready to go!,
This is a sequel book after Demand Driven Performance and Orlicky's Material Requirements Planning, Third Edition.
In Orlicky's book you could find evolution of MRP, degrading performance of MRP by shifting paradigm and concept of DDMRP.
In Smart Metrics you could find a very well explanation of "Why do we need to understand New Normal?" and "How could we transform our business into New Normal?".
This book details "how" part. It starts with reasoning, introduces brilliantly Taguchi's loss function to inventory, shows shortcomings of conventional MRP, compares MRP vs Lean, explains DDMRP (strategic inventory positioning, strategic buffers, buffer adjustments, supply order generation, execution alerts, metrics), introduces S&OP process within DDMRP as DDAS- Demand Driven Adaptive System.
* This is a good book for starting doers, ie those who does not want to deal with the reasonings but just focusuing on transformations. Most of the book have been covered in CDDP training already. DDI has elegant White papers to update us on their website.
* I like the emphasis given to distribution environments which has no manufacturing.
* DDMRP concept includes forecasting, MRP, optimization falavors which are belonging to "old normal-old paradigm".
* I like the appendices: Simulation Show by Eric Bush, MIC clothing retail implementation by David Poveda
* I wish it had a comparison of TOC Replenishment vs DDMRP as well.